Last month Independent Solutions teamed up with HP and headed overseas to visit the National Retail Federation (NRF) Expo in New York city. The NRF was held over 3 days from 15th to 17th January 2017 at the Jacob Javit convention centre. This is Retail’s ‘big show’ of the year and so big in fact that it is split over 3 levels:
- One level included start-up businesses, analytical and cloud reporting solutions and small distributors of various branded hardware.
- Another level featured ‘Innovation’ – which included an Innovation Lab showcasing new technologies.
- The third level had well-known distributors to the Australian market exhibiting, including Toshiba, Datalogic, Fujitsu, Zebra, NCR, HP, IBM, Honeywell and many more. This level featured massive stands and was often overloaded with people due to popularity
In total there were 35,000 attendees, 300 speakers and over 500 exhibitors at this year’s NRF!
The show provided a great opportunity for Independent Solutions to connect with multiple exhibitors and further extend knowledge about new upcoming innovative initiatives and technology in the retail space. This was invaluable for us to help in planning and introducing new initiatives for our customers in Australia.
Some of the key observations included:
- The Datalogic stand showcased the new ‘Jade’ tunnel scanner. The next evolution of the self-scan technology driving huge efficiencies in store.
- Fujitsu demonstrated the use of RFID technology (Radio frequency) at POS. A new concept of labels being read by the RFID, sent straight to the POS, minimising the need to unpack the basket.
- In the Innovation lab, the team at Focal Systems revealed an efficient and innovative new system showing many benefits for both customers and store owners. This technology will be one to keep an eye on for the future! Have a look at the link below:
It was a very busy 3 days on the Expo floor in a city that never stops and the team at Independent Solutions are looking forward to learning more and bringing new initiatives and locally on trend technologies to our customers in the coming months.
Check out some of our event photos below.